Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B

  • It was interesting to see how Buck's Ramayana differ from Narayan's Ramayana. The story had more details and character compared to the Narayan's Ramayana. Although the story slightly corresponds to each other there were many differences between the two books. I personally thought the Narayan's Ramayana was easier for me to read.  
  • The story of Kaikeyi reminded me of how evil and selfish she is once again. Because she was scared of Rama becoming a king, she demanded Dasharatha to make Bharata the king. She also demands Rama to be sent out to the forest for fourteen years. Kaikeyi's actions showed insecure and greed as her characteristics. Kaikeyi also tried to ask Dasharatha to teach her the language of animals. When I read this, she reminded me of the women from the bible name Delilah. Delilah was a women who Samson loved and she led Samson into downfall because Samson told her his secret. I feel like if Dasharatha had a better wife, he would've had a better overall life. I was glad to see that Dasharatha did not tell Kaikeyi the language of animals because she probably use it against him. The character of Kaikeyi made me mad because I felt like she was controlling Dasharatha. 
  • I was glad to see that different people and sage were willing to help Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana. When they were sent to the forest, they had Sage Bharadwaja and Guha to help help them in various ways.  It was nice how housing was provided by Bharadwaja and that Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana had place to stay.
Image Source: Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana 

2 comments:

  1. I like how you compared the story of Delilah from the Bible to Kaikeyi in the Ramayana. Making comparisons like that really help in understanding a person’s character. I really don’t like Kaikeyi’s character either because she seems very selfish and greedy. It makes me wonder if she really loves her husband or not or if she’s just married to him for the benefits of being a queen and having a son as the heir to the throne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put your thoughts about what you were reading, and not just word for word what you read that day. I also agree that I think Narayan’s Ramayana was easier for me to read, and I thought more interesting too. It kept my attention better than Buck’s Ramayana. Don’t get me started on Kaikeyi, I just don’t really like her, seems like you agree!

    ReplyDelete