Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 2 Reading Diary A




  • " A seed that sprouts at the foot of its parent tree remains stunted until it is transplanted. Every human being, when the time comes, has to depart and seek his fulfillment in his own way." (PG. 9)
    • I like this quote because I think it is so true. I believe that when people reach a certain age,they have to move out of their parent's shadow and become independent. I have never left my parent's house because my parents wanted me to stay with them, but I believe I need to leave and become more independent.
Image Source: Vishnu Wikipedia (Bali)

  • I enjoyed the scene where Mahabali offered the three strides of land to Vishnu. The whole scene was very unusual. The first step measured out the entire Earth, the second step was the heavens, and the last step was very unexpected. "Vishnu raised his foot, placed it on Mahabali's head, and pressed him down to the netherworld which he disposed the tormentor of the worlds." I found this scene very dramatic and interesting. (pg.15)
  • The ceremony of "Horse Sacrifice" seemed very interesting to me. I believe that the horse ceremony described the culture of India a little better. It says" anyone attempts to hold up the horse, it is taken as a challenge and causes a war." when I read this, I knew that the horse sacrifice ritual was very serious.(pg.17) 
  • I wondered if the appearance of Ahalya was significant. She appeared from a stone that was half buried and was transformed into a beautiful women.Also, the story of Ahalya and Indra reminded me of the story of King David and Bathsheba from the Bible. Indra and King David both loved the women so much for their beauty that they lie to the women's husband to make love with the women. (pg.20)

No comments:

Post a Comment