Friday, January 16, 2015

Week 1 Overview



After reading the overview of the class and the textbook, I find the book The Mahabharata by Narayan fascinating. I want to know about the different types of epic in India and are ready to learn. I like how there is a story to everything and the Indian epics sounds like it consists of a lot of events and characters. I want to compare the two different Ramayana book and find similarities and dissimilarities.

This is my first time taking anything that is related to India. To be honest, I have never had a connection with anything Indian other than the Indian bangles and the Hannah tattoos. This is my first epics class and I am pretty excited for it. Because I am not a huge reader, I haven't read any  epics before. I have never been to India before but I've heard that India is an exciting place to visit.
I do not have any southeast Asian in my family, but I am from the East Asia. Because this class is my first epics class, I am excited to learn about anything. Because this class is far from my own major, it will be interesting taking a class which will provide me culture backgrounds and epics. 
 Indra on his vehicle (vahana),
the celestial elephant Airavata.

I chose this image because I heard elephant has a big symbolic meaning in India. Because majority of Indians are Hindus, they worship some animals and I know that the elephants are considered sacred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment