Monday, January 26, 2015

Indian Epics Topics Brainstorm

1. Possible topic: Love stories - Orpheus and Eurydice
This topic seemed very interesting to me. I enjoy reading love story and this one was pretty good. I think its interesting how it associated the Greek Gods in the context. Also, I would like to learn more about the Greek mythology. Although its not Indian epic, I like the storyline.

Research so far: For this project, I will get to know more about Orpheus and Eurydice. Orpheus was a legendary musician in Greek mythology. Orpheus was known for his charming personality. I think its interesting that Eurydice was daughter of Apollo, who was God of music. According to some findings, they said that Orpheus was son of Apollo to. Although Orpheus and Eurydice is not from Indian background, I think it will be interesting doing a storybook about them

2. Possible Topic: Kaikeyi
The character of Kaikeyi was interesting to me. She also appeared in our reading and she stood out to me. Through the reading, I know that she became evil to keep what she had. She feared that she would loose everything once Rama gained the throne. Doing a research over the women Kaikeyi give me a better idea of where she is from and how she became so evil at the end.

Research so far: I know that there were three total Queens who were married to Kind Dasaratha. Interestingly enough, all three queens each had sons. Kaikeyi had a son name Bharatha. Because Rama was  going to claim the throne, Kaikeyi became scared that she was gonna loose her spot and state. I can search for her background and what kind of family she was from. I can also do some research over her parents and sibling. Maybe using her character, I can write an edited version of the storybook.

3.Possible topic: Ganesha -images
 The image of Ganesha seemed interesting to me. I've seen many photos of elephant with a lot of arms and always wondered the story behind it. It also seems like Ganesha appears quiet often in Indian epics. I want to know more about the different images. I know that elephants are highly respected in the Indian culture and I think Ganesha has to do with the fact that they are respected.

Research so far :After doing some research, I found out that Ganesha is one of the Gods in Hindu. He is known as God of wisdom, knowledge, and new beginning. I also found out that he is a big part of Indian art. He is in many paintings and sculptures. I would like to explore all sorts of arts which has Ganesha.

4.Possible topic: Vishnu - images
The image of Vishnu seemed pretty familiar too. I love the blue skin tone and the lotus flowers which appears often in his paintings. I think having many arms signify something because I see it often in many images of Indian God. Looking through many images, I think he is God of water because there are many images that are underwater.  By learning more about Vishnu, I will have a better idea of one of the Indian Gods. Because many Gods appear in Indian epics, I think it will be nice to know more about them

Research so far: There are many pictures and sculptures of Vishnu. After doing some research, I found out that Vishnu has some influence on Buddhism too. I think this is interesting because there is a cultural mash up in Hinduism and Buddhism. On Wikipedia, it mentions that it has five forms and have thousands of different names.

No comments:

Post a Comment